Saturday, June 16, 2012

17 minutes and counting

I'm f'n beat and my attitude is shit. It's the 6th day of a really long week on location. 16 to 18 hour days with 8 hour turnarounds. I have exactly 17 minutes to get my attitude adjusted before my actor comes in to makeup. So I sit here outside in a horse field behind my trailer and watch the sun come up. Virgin America headsets fastened to my head. I'm listening to Crystal Bowersox (yes, from American Idol) croon out a tune about her drunk abusive mother thinking this might not be the best song to get me in a better mood... I've been a makeup artist for 20 years and spent a good deal of that time on the road. I've forfeited a lot of time with the man and animals I love. What would my life have been like if I had been a chef in a fancy restaurant or a school teacher? Simpler? Less stressful? Kids? Would I have had kids? Ah well, at 48 it's too late now. I'll be sad about that later. Oh no! I'm headin' down the rabbit hole. Happier song is in order. Hold please. Better. Crystal is jammin and singing about love. Ok,(deep breath)I'm a film person. Long hours and life on the road is all part and parcel. I get to do what I love. I paint faces and hang with interesting creative people. I make a good living and have a beautiful house. That I never see. Kim! Stop that! How did that thought creep in there? Aw hell, I'm not perfect. Assessment time. Only minutes until actor in chair. I was a 3 on a scale from 1 to 10. Now I'm a...hmmmm....5. Not bad. I can fake it up to a 7.

13 comments:

  1. Doesn't matter the career path/life we choose...life is always hectic in some form or fashion. You are doing what you love and you are damn good at it! Just remember to 'breathe' and make time for Kim. :) Peace. ~Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life on a film set is intense. everyone has at least one bad day during filming, hang in there an remember the support you have around you. Sending good vibes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel much better today after a good nights sleep. Thanks for the good vibes! :)

      Delete
  3. We all have those days. Hope you get some "kim" time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to take a lovely walk today through the park and enjoy some Kim time. thanks!

      Delete
  4. I did have a moment of "Should I have posted that?" It's not my normal upbeat self or type of post but we all do have bad days and the key is to find a way to adjust your attitude if possible. No one wants to see a cranky pants running around at work. It's a downer and its contagious. Sometimes just a moment to write out how you're feeling or listen to music or 5 minutes of meditation can do the trick. Just so you know, the rest of my day went much better and today is all about rest and recharging. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear friend...

    I should thank you for all the inspirational giving you have done for me and for all artists...so, when you are feeling like you are try to remember that I appreciate you, your artistry, your advice and for being simply amazing! Good vibes being sent your way! XOXO

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I had a day off and recharged! I so appreciate you and your kind words. xo

      Delete
  6. Dear Friend,

    You are so amazing! You are an inspiration to me and so many artists! I appreciate and listen to all your advice and I am so thankful that we met! Thanks for writing this post and for being open and honest. Can't wait to get together again after you return and remember that I am sending good vibes your way!

    XoXo
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the post! obviously some days are better than others but I love the fact that you just said it how it is! inner monologues are always the most interesting!

    Just remeber at least you have a career, a house, and someone special to share it with!!

    Happy filming xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some LONG days all in a row. Sounds very exhausting. I get booked sometimes for 3 or 4 days of 8-10 hr shoots and I'm absolutely beat by the end of it. Even 2 wedding parties in a day for a couple days straight (which is a normal weekend for me), will wipe me out for a day or so afterwards. You are such an inspiration and an incredible resource. Very glad to have found you on youtube and now your blog (how did I not know about this until an hour ago?!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just re read my post probably for the first time since I wrote it 8 months ago. Man, I was bummed. Writing it actually helped me a lot that day. I was giving myself a pep talk. I did worry it was too raw to send out into the world but I'm glad I did because people seem to relate to it. BTW, I wouldn't change a thing about my life. It all makes me who I am.

    ReplyDelete