Friday, September 23, 2011

Corrective makeup - The Hooded Eye

I happen to have hooded eyes. I used to be ok with them but as I've gotten older they really make me look tired. And you should see them after a 15 hour day! My eyes look closed, even when they're not. Ok, I'm being dramatic but bottom line is I'm very familiar with this specific corrective makeup. 
I drew some quick sketches this morning to give you an idea of the difference between an Ideal eye and a Hooded eye. Ok, don't get your panties in a bunch about the word "Ideal". I'm not saying that a Hooded eye is bad or not beautiful because there are, for instance, a number of actresses that have this type of eye and are considered beautiful.  However, there is an "ideal beauty" that exists. I think it's scientific or something. It spells out what the human being finds to be the most appealing to look at. I feel like Brooke Shields won "Ideal face" once. 
Examples of Hooded Eyes: That's Blake Lively on the right.
 I don't know who did her makeup, but it's pretty. That's yours truly on the left. 
Drawings and info by Kim Greene
I personally think that the differences we all have make us the individuals we are but, that said, I really don't want to look tired either and while I'm at it I would like my face to look thinner and younger and...
I digress. So, as I was saying, below I've shown you the technique to help the hooded eye appear less hooded. 
You can use any color you want but it's best with a hooded eye to use matte makeups on and above the crease area because shimmer acts as a highlight vs. a shade. Feel free to use either matte or shimmer products on the highlighted areas just above the lash line. 

Meredith Jessica who has her own blog called Pigments and Palettes asked me about doing makeup on a Monolid eye and this same technique will work on a Monolid eye as well. You create the illusion of a crease with shadow and highlight. 
Examples of:  Monolid eye without makeup and Monolid eye with makeup.



7 comments:

  1. Great post! This is really quite helpful. I'm linking your article to a few friends of mine who don't wear eye makeup because they have these types of eyes and don't know how to apply it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Kim. Very useful illustration pictures, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Glad you got something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill Jensen-HamachekOctober 12, 2011 at 7:51 PM

    genius! thanks for sharing! love the pictures! Post more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, thank you. I decided not to put any pressure on myself to write posts unless I was wanted to. I really enjoy it and it relaxes me actually. I don't want it to become something "I have to do", you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came across your blog via Melissa Street/In My Pro Opinion. Enjoyed your post and the humor within! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much! This was really helpful. I have eyes and coloring similar to Blake and I think it's common on blondes. I see the same on friends and family from Holland and Russia

    ReplyDelete