Saturday, August 13, 2011

Drew Barrymore in Ever After. Getting made up for the ball.


Poster of Ever After and a scene from the film

So, I'm in the South of France prepping for the film Ever After. I was hired as Drew Barrymore's personal makeup artist. 
We all know the story of Cinderella. Poor girl, mistreated by her step mother & step sisters, meets a boy, falls in love, finds out he's the prince, freaks out, goes to Leonardo De Vinci to do her makeup for the ball. WAIT!!!! WHAT?!! Did I read that correctly? 
THE Leonardo de Vinci paints her face in the script??!!
Ok, well, better pack up my stuff and head on back to America. I'm a good artist but I'm suppose to do makeup as if I'm one of the world's most celebrated Masters? The dude who painted The Mona Lisa, The Last Supper, carved David?! 
Drawing of Leonardo De Vinci, The Last Supper, Mona Lisa
Ok, after a few deep breaths & a good hearty glass of red wine I pulled myself together. 
Drew loves butterflies and wanted me to paint a butterfly on her face to go with the butterfly wings on her dress made by Leonardo in the script. I remember my first go at the "butterfly makeup" perfectly. We were in the kitchen of the 13th century house that Drew, Barbara Olvera (her hair dresser), Gwen Stroman (her assistant) and I shared. We had so much fun in that house and I have wonderful memories of those days. Here is a shot of that first makeup test along with a swatch of the fabric from her dress that wardrobe gave me for reference. You'll notice that both sides of her face are different. I was trying 2 different color options in this test.
Preliminary "Butterfly wings" makeup test and swatch from ball gown.
Turns out, however, according to the film's research department that the real Leonardo never drew a butterfly. He did draw birds and for accuracy sake the dress would have bird wings.
Leonardo De Vinci drawings of wings and flying machine

Well, that changed things for me. The producers said "No butterfly makeup. You can't do a butterfly makeup with a bird wing dress."
Back to the drawing board.
I had to design a makeup that would make sense with the costume and look like it was made from natural products from the time period (like gold dust, oil paint and fruits) I decided Leonardo was going for a  sheer, golden, shimmery "mask" in the shape of non specific wings for Cinderella that night. With crystals added for some 16th Century bling.
Drew Barrymore final makeup for the Ball
You can't really see it in these photos but I used bronzes, silvers and golds around her eyes starting with deeper tones in the inner corners of her upper and lower lids, graduating up to lighter and lighter tones toward her temples and down over her cheek bones. I matched the shape of her dresses' wings and added Swarovski crystals following the shape of the upper wings. I used a sheer tint on her lips to look like crushed raspberries.
Painting like De Vinci is a ridiculously tall order and shows you some of the crazy stuff that gets thrown at us when we sign up for a film. But you do your best and keep moving forward. Did I pull it off? Well, I'm no Leo but Drew told me she felt like a princess that night, so for me, it was a job well done.

30 comments:

  1. No you didn't just post this! Hahaha I'm dying, I LOVE this movie and always loved this scene with this makeup! This is awesome, thanks for posting this. I was transistioning from middle to high school when this came out. Brings back good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I had a lot of fun writing this as memories bubbled up. Being on that film was an amazing life experience. Man, did we have a great time on and off the set! Glad you loved the film. It was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a quick question? What is the music that plays in the soundtrack #14 going to the ball? It's like the last 50 minutes of it. I'm heavily into Renaissance music and was wondering if you know anyone that knows the piece of music?

      Delete
  3. this is my favorite movie! And I love drew!!! I love this post. you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sweet Surrender! I appreciate you saying so!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was really exciting to read all of these details and ESPECIALLY see the amazing makeup test photo of Drew! We're such big fans of all your work with her, hope you'll be posting more like this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Drewseum! (Drewseum's? Drewsei?). Not sure of the plural of your name. Lol
    I'm so glad you liked the post! I was so fortunate to work with Drew and get to do so many fun characters with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you did the makeup for this? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh I've always loved her makeup in this movie! Not just the ball scene, though it is wonderful, but in the scene where she reveals she's become a princess and her natural day look as well-just amazing! I'm obsessed! What are some of the products you used?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favorite movie makeups and was so excited to find this post!! Thanks much :)

    Katie C.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's October 2012 and I'm looking for pictures of Princesses for my 2-yr-old grand daughter and immediately thought of Drew Barrymore as Cinderella in my favorite movie.......and I found your blog.
    As I watched the movie just after it was released, I had tears in my eyes and my 9-yr-old daughter said "...this is not the sad part, mom." I felt 'homesick'. Was this movie filmed in the south of France? My father's family came from France. In fact my maiden name is Greene.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, we shot it in Sarlat, a small city 6 hours south of Paris. So incredibly beautiful. I really have fond memories of that experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this post is wonderful! I run several costume sites, one of which is for studying the costumes from Ever After (everaftercostumes.com) so this is a real find - I know my readers will love to hear how Drew's make-up was done. You really did a beautiful job. Thanks again for this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry if this comment is a duplicate, it looks like my last one didn't submit.

    Anyway - I wanted to thank you for this post. I adore Ever After and have several costume research sites - one is about the costumes from Ever After (everaftercostumes.com). And I know my readers will love this post too - it's so cool to hear about how the make-up was done. You did a beautiful job. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, Hi! I just looked at your web site (everaftercostumes.com) and it's really great! Please feel free to share this post on Drew's makeup with your readers. I hope they get a kick out of it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! And I will do - I'm sure they'll love it. Thank you again!

      Delete
  14. This is so amazing. Has been so long I wanted to know and try out this makeup. I'm just so happy I found your blog. I love to know where come from the inspirations and criations. Im a young makeup artist with loooots to learn, i love artistic makeups and try out new things. Thank you so much for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The David was carved by Michelangelo. Im not sure by DaVinci never carved anything, at least nothing that comes to my mind at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's now 2013 and I am still searching for the artist that have inspired me to create my own Just Breathe moment. Thank you for posting this and for sharing your amazing artistry, the experts be damned. My thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm looking at the filming locations...You must have been very busy...The makeup all the way through the film was fabulous..You are a true artist...What are you working on at the moment?..Are you allowed to say?...And did you have to 'audition' to get the job on Ever After ?? Thanks
    Lisa ( from the UK) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm working on a TV show presently called The Goldbergs for ABC. It's set in the 1980's which is really fun! I had already worked with Drew on a number of films prior to Ever After so I did not have to audition. She requested me as her personal artist and they said yes. Thanks for your lovely compliments. :)

      Delete
  18. Truly beautiful makeup throughout the film!!..Did you have to audition to get the job initially??...Thankyou xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am just sitting here, jealous as can be! This is by far one of the most formative movies for me. I saw it in theaters, and as a little girl, that glitter "just breathe" moment was absolutely revolutionary. It had me buying glitter sticks and shimmer lotions for YEARS!
    I wrote a post a little while ago about my love for this movie, and it still to this day is the one movie I pull out when I need something wonderful to watch. I love Drew, and I so wish I could have been on this movie set!

    http://voguishatbest.blogspot.com/2013/08/my-love-for-ever-after.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked your post on your blog. It brought back some great memories too! Have you seen my YT video about the "Just Breath" makeup? I recreated it on actress Ginny Gardner. Check it out if you haven't already. We did a photo shoot ourselves after but the makeup doesn't read as well as I wish it had. Ah well, I'm not a pro photographer. It's a great video though with some good stories and shows how I actually did the makeup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhzjZaqmKQM. If that link doesn't work just search Kim Greene Makeup and look for the video "How to- Create the Cinderella makeup from..."

      Delete
    2. So amazing, thank you!! I love everything Ever After, naturally. :)
      I actually have one question for you, if you will! I am planning a trip to northern France quite specifically to tour the Ever After filming spots. I'd love to visit the chateaus and little nooks and crannies around Sarlat. Most of the main filming locations are easily found online (hautefort, beynac, fenelon, losse) but do you know where the swimming in the lake, "looks like rain!" scene was filmed? I would be elated to sit on those banks!

      Delete
    3. Wow! What a wonderful idea for a trip. You will have a great time. Sadly, I don't know the name of the lake. I actually kind of remember it being a river? I do want to suggest you go to some places Drew, Barbara & I went on weekends though. We went to a town called Rocamadour. It's a medieval village built into a mountain side. Beautiful and great food and shopping. We drove there so it must not have been too far.
      We also canoed down the Dordogne river. We would stop occasionally and Drew would read to us poetry by Lord
      Byron from a small book she brought. Such a magical day.
      Perhaps you can call Flower Films. They may be able to find out where we shot the lake scene. Or the film commission in France. Wish I could be more help on that. Regardless, you will have an amazing adventure! :)

      Delete
    4. Oh my goodness - thank you!! What a wonderful memory that is, I'll have to bring some poetry. :) I can just imagine it all, I can't wait to actually see it in person. Such beautiful countryside. I think you're right about the river! I'll try and find out. But really, thank you SO much for answering and for recommending some of your personal favorites. I'm so grateful!

      Delete
  20. Without make up also she is too beautiful. But i can not find the reason behind this. Thanks for sharing nice information to us..lifestyle celebrities

    ReplyDelete