Thursday, June 2, 2011

"What tattoo? I don't know what you're talking about."

I think tattoos are cool, artistic, fun and expressive. But they are a pain in the ass to cover.
Since tattoos have only been popular to the masses for the last 20 yrs or so most characters in film or television shows that takes place before that time have to be tattoo free. Even in shows or films set in modern time not all characters would wear tattoos. For instance if the character is a girl who grew up in a monastery the actress playing her can't have a dragon tattooed across her lower back. 

Even if you're not a makeup artist you may have to go on an interview or meet your guys parents and you might want to keep that tat under wraps (for now). 

I've found a combination of products and application techniques that cover tattoos well. This is one way. 

I start with DermaBlend Leg and Body Primer. Comes in light and tan. Apply a decent coat of it onto the tattoo using the stick foundation applicator. Blend the edges with a brush or your fingers. 
DermaBlend Leg and Body Primer

Next if the tattoo is black or blue I apply Kryolan DermaColor D30 (orange) sparingly to help color correct. Use the stipple technique* with your finger or a sponge.
Then I apply DermaColor Leg and Body Cover. It comes in 14 shades from Ivory to Dark. Sometimes it is helpful to use a couple of colors to get the exact shade you want. 
It's best to apply with the stipple technique* with a sponge or your fingers.
DermaBlend Leg and Body Cover
 Allow to dry 3 to 5 minutes before applying another coat if needed.                                                        
 Dry fully 5 to 10 minutes then add setting powder. 
DermaBlend Setting Powder

Ben Nye Final Seal
If you or the character is going to get wet, say in a rain storm, I suggest using a sealer. I like Ben Nye's Final Seal. It has a minty fragrance which I find odd but as long as you don't mistake it for mouth wash, it's a great sealer. 

*Stipple Technique. Apply product in an up/down motion






6 comments:

  1. Where do you buy your Dermablend products? I haven't found them anywhere that offers a pro discount.
    I've only found them at Ulta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to http://www.dermablend.com/stores/
    for a list of retailers in your area. You can also buy it on line from dermablend.com directly. I am not aware of a retailer who gives a pro discount on Dermablend but if you find one, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a website that sells the Dermablends products for $5 cheaper than everywhere else! And they didn't charge me tax or shipping. ( shipping is free for order over $50) and when I asked for a pro discount they said they didn't have one but took off $10 off my entire order! I saved so much I was able to buy all 14 shades.

    The website is imagebeauty.com, it sells lots of other brands like urban decay and two faced for a discount price.

    http://www.imagebeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Nancy! Thanks for the great info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No prob. I'm always looking for a good deal :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Ben Nye Makeup Final Seal may not remove even if your makeup get wet or perspire heavily.

    ReplyDelete