Saturday, June 18, 2011

Terminator Salvation and Sunscreen. A match made in hell.

I wanted to talk about the importance of sun protection and I could go into the damage sun can cause but this blog is light and happy mostly & I don't want to get too intense. You know you need to wear sun screen and why. I was thinking about times on set when the elements were at their strongest and Terminator Salvation came to mind.
I thought it would be fun to show you some behind the scenes shots from that film. Mostly to show you how ridiculously hot and dusty it was and to drive home how important sun protection is. This shot is of some of the crew and cast on a typical day shooting in the desert in Albuquerque New Mexico!
Cast & Crew on set of Terminator Salvation




This next set of shots include one of me being dramatic. You can tell by my crazy outfit that the weather was shifting from storming to blazing hot. The other shots are of Christian Bale's first try on the MotoTerminator with McG the director looking on. It was easily 100 degrees in the shade that day. Plus some shots of my friends in the makeup and hair department on set. The skeleton is a grip who didn't listen to me and wear sunscreen.
Cast & Crew on set of Terminator Salvation
Ok, so you get it. It was hot as hell.  And we tried our best to protect ourselves with hats and sunglasses but we also used a lot of sun screen. The following are a few of my favorite sun protection products.

The first is Nuetrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sun Block. It works wonderfully under makeup. It's waterproof, sweatproof, non-comedogenic (won't clog pores) oil & paba free. It's really lightweight and has a non-shiny finish. Comes in a wide range of SPF's up to 100. 
Nuetrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sun Block
I also found a couple of really great powder sunscreens. I found them because I needed to solve a problem. When we shoot a day exterior scene we are outside for sometimes 12 hours. Sunscreen has to be re-applied every few hours to be at it's most effective. Well, you really can't put a cream sunscreen over makeup because it will mess it up. So I found a couple powder sunscreens I really like. 
Colorscience Sunforgettable is a weightless, fragrance free powder that is very water resistant. It comes in 3 colors. All clear, Perfectly Clear for light to med skin tones and Almost Clear for med to dark skin tones. They say it's best for the face and decollete. It comes in a variety of package styles and SPF's. 
I love that it comes in a trail size shaker container too because I put one in every actor bag to take to the set and it doesn't take up a lot of space.
ColorScience Sunforgettable
I'm also a big fan of Peter Thomas Roth's Instant Mineral SPF. It comes in a variety of SPF's. It has Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide for UVA/UVB protection. Vitamins A, C & E, anti-oxidants to protect against free radicals. Willow Bark extract, a natural source of salicylic acid to enhance cell turn over to improve the appearance of photo-aged skin. Corn starch & silica to absorb oil. It comes in one neutral transparent tone in a Brush on applicator package. 
Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral SPF
Bottom line. Protect your skin. It only takes a minute and your future self will thank you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment